FNOR 3: An Integrative (Functional Neuro-Orthopedic) Approach to Rehabilitation of Upper Quarter, Cervical Spine, Whiplash & Cervico-Vestibular Dysfunction
This course provides an up-to-date, integrative approach to rehabilitation of the upper quarter and cervical spine. The course also includes an introduction to head injury and the relationship between cervico-vestibular system and head injury. This course will also cover rehabilitation of the systems of balance and oculomotor function in the context of complex, multi-system injury presentations. Presented are efficient approaches, based on current evidence and emerging concepts in neurorehabilitation and integrative, physical medicine, to leverage neural plasticity to drive sensorimotor adaptation and recovery from shoulder and upper limb, cervical spine and presentations of central disorders. The systematic approach that is presented can be applied to a range of contexts, including acute injury to chronic, complex, treatment-resistant presentations.
WHO IS THE PROGRAM INTENDED FOR?
(Licensed Professional (and current students) in the following professions are welcome to attend: DPT, PT, MD, DC, DO, RN, MSN) This highly practical program was developed in a multi-center, high-volume, multi-practitioner, orthopedic, physical therapy environment. It was initially intended for physical therapists (physiotherapists) with the intention to improve outcomes in severe lower back pain and treatment-resistant, post-surgical spine pain presentations. Since then, this program has been opened to rehabilitation and pain specialists from multiple fields including physiatrists & physicians (M.D. & D.O.), chiropractors (D.C.), nurses (RN & MSN) and supportive staff associated with each of these professions.
The program will likely be highly valuable for any rehabilitation specialist seeking to update their rehabilitation system as well as for recent grads seeking to learn a proven framework from which to launch their own successful rehabilitation program.
THIS PROGRAM WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER, INTEGRATIVE PAIN- & INJURY REHABILITATION SPECIALIST
- Efficient (Giving you a solid "place to start" and "path to follow" in every case). The "FNOR Therapy Matrix" equips you with a simple, system for addressing every dimension of complex, multisystem injury (incl. somatic, CNS, PNS and behavioral components)
- Effective: You will notice that your clinical approach will drastically "speed up" (efficiency) and deliver more consistent results (effectiveness).
- Confident: Demystify concussion, whiplash and complicated pain presentations involving the upper quarter.
- "Well-rounded" (integrative) & Professional: Allowing you to interface easily with other professionals, approaches and philosophies.
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS COURSE
- Dynamic Assessment of Arthrokinematics of the Upper Quarter ( a highly practical approach to assessment and management of shoulder complaints.)
- Highly Practical and Dynamic Update on Shoulder Rehabilitation (Differential Diagnosis of Shoulder Pain, Patterns of Shoulder Movement/Dysfunction, post-surgical complications, coupling of shoulder and cervical dysfunction, shoulder dysfunction in CNS disorders.)
- Whiplash and Whiplash Associated Disorders(applying the FNOR, integrative approach to deal with multiple dimensions of this category of presentation)
- Managing Painful and Non-painful Neuropathies of the Upper Limbs.
- Pain in the Upper Quarter, Cervical Spine and Head (headache)
- Integrative, Whole Body, Screening Procedure.
- Integrative Ocoluomotor and Vestibular Assessment.
- Pain, Trauma and the CNS.
- Assessment and Management of Complex Injury
- Is this a course in Spinal or Joint Manipulation?
- No. While a number of "manual techniques" will be presented, including some that might be regarded as "mobilization of tissues, nerves and joints", this is not a course in conventional, segmental, joint manipulation/adjusting. Those with a background in spinal manipulation will find the FNOR-therapy-matrix as a useful foundation in the rational application of joint manipulation (i.e. knowing "when and where" to apply manipulation) but these techniques will not be demonstrated (it is our experience that most attendees are quite proficient with this therapeutic "tool").
- Are you actually going to teach anything practical?
- We are only going to teach practical material! This course first presents a rationale and framework that provides the practitioner with a new and current approach to lower back pain rehabilitation (a simple, rational system ... not a flowchart.) Theory and background material is only presented to present the underlying reasoning as to the technical approaches instructed.
- Most of our attendees report that they completely change (mostly structure and focus) their rehabilitative approach to lower back pain following this course.
- This course is typically reported by attendees as the most “information rich” and broadly valuable course in the series.
- I've taken other Rehab Courses and even heard of some that sound like this... How is this course unique?... Why take an FNOR course?
- The FNOR is a pioneer-program in integrative physical rehabilitation, particularly in the integration of neurorehabilitation and orthopedics, 10 years in the making! While there are a number of excellent learning opportunities in the field of lower back pain rehab (and we owe much to the many pioneers of our time in the field), there are a number of differentiating factors that we believe bolsters the unique value of the FNOR program:
- Experienced multi-disciplinary team (with an inter-disciplinary approach): Our program was developed by professionals from different backgrounds, with years of experience in therapeutic approaches including: emergency medicine, pre- and post-surgical care, frontline primary care, CAM, 'functional neurology', pharmacology and physical therapy.
- Highly Practical, Original Approach: The FNOR approach has been developed in the high volume, primarily orthopedic physical therapy (physiotherapy) environment. There are no "frills or fluff" or "gimmicky" techniques. The FNOR-approach favors high-leverage interventions (independent of "techniques") and is highly efficient as a consequence...
- The primary goal is GETTING PATIENTS OUT OF PAIN FAST!: We doubt there is a system developed today that can do this more consistently than FNOR! In our view, there isn't much value to any approach to a painful condition (like lower back pain) that doesn't resolve pain with fast and frequently.
- Unique Application of Diagnostic Technologies: The use of current technologies like video kinematics provides a unique, modern dimension to the very modern, FNOR approach.
- The base rate for this course (as with each of the 3-day, 25 hour, FNOR modules) is $1,250 (US). An early bird registration rate of $1050 is offered for registrations made 60 days ahead.